8.19.2013

(review) Freak of Nature by Julia Crane

Freak of Nature by Julia Crane
Series: IFICS #1
Release date: January 9th 2013
Publisher: Valknut Press 
Pages: 167
Source: Bought (ebook)
Rating: ★★★★☆

When seventeen-year-old Kaitlyn checked the box, she never suspected she’d have her life–and her body–stolen from her. She awakens one day in a secret laboratory to discover that her body is now half-robot and is forced to hide her own secret: that she still has human emotions and a human mind. If the scientists who made her find out, they’ll erase what remains of who she was. Kaitlyn finds an unlikely ally in Lucas, a handsome, brilliant scientist who can’t get over the guilt he feels knowing she was once a vibrant, beautiful young woman. He never expected a science project to affect him the way she does. As he tries to help her rediscover her past, he finds himself falling for the brave girl struggling to find her place and acceptance between the human and computer worlds.


Kaitlyn donated her body to science thinking that it wouldn't change anything, since she's dead, but then a miracle happened. Kate was now living again as a cyborg. Her body was anything but looked humane. IFICS, the company that now owns her was determined to make her the most powerful weapon existed and sell it to the government. Slowly they are taking piece by piece of the things that made Kate human. No one knows, that Kate is still hiding her feelings and emotions inside.

It was fun reading this, too bad it was written in third person narrator (I prefer first person). Kate was badass, but of course she's a cyborg. Of course she's strong. My favorite part was the paintball (event hough it's not that long) but I'm not spoiling it so, sorry. Despite her being physically cyborg, I could actually connect with her feelings, I felt a bit sad for her when she bumped Evan at the street. It kinda hurts. And then there is Lucas, a smart and young scientist that later fell in love with a robot. Sick, right? well, in this case he's normal, since Kate was human and all. It reminded me a little bit of this manga I read, Chobits. Lucas was described as 'smart', 'scientist', 'young', and 'hot' never saw a scientist like that my entire life but, bless my imagination. I liked him a lot.

There are several things that bothers me, unfortunately. Even though I loved the story and all, some of the scenes available were not really necessary and some were set in the same setting that it felt a bit boring. And I didn't see any bad guy... The government was a bit irritating but it doesn't make them the bad guy, and even the owner of IFICS wasn't the bad guy I thought he would (or should?) be. Maybe it's because most of the conflicts was about keeping Kate's feelings and emotion that the story was lack of antagonist.

Well, despite the negatives Freak of Nature is still something that I would re-read in the future. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!