10.21.2013

(review) Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
Series: Carrier #1
Release date: October 4th 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 352
Source: Bought (ebook)
Rating: ★★★★☆

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.


If you know me, you'd probably know that most of the time, I read negative reviews of a book before reading it for real. So I won't expect much, and this helps because I get less disappointed if it turns out to be... disappointing. For this book, I've read lots of people saying that it was the twin sister of Twilight, because it was too cheesy you'd go blargh. Unfortunately, it is true. Carrier of the Mark was mild and cheesy, luckily though, I am looking for something mild and cheesy at the moment.

Reading books that is solid with conflicts could be really tiring, that is why at some point, I choose books that are interesting yet not that heavy in complications and language (writing style) and this! is perfect. I admit that this book is cheesy, and yes, I couldn't stop picturing Aang in my head just because Megan is a... someone with the power to control air (I think airbender could be another word for it), but this book is also really interesting regarding the concept and the plot.

It was a story about a girl, Megan, that turns out to be not-so-ordinary. It was all the typical "A girl/boy moved into another place, met someone, surprise surprise surprise, and then the two main characters fell in love, then another blah blah blah and solution blah" but I just don't know why, Carrier of the Mark had this pull towards me. I think it was the writing style. For me, Leigh Fallon had succeeded in telling the story well. At some point it felt a bit rushed but then it neutralizes again so it doesn't really matters, I still feel that the plot was told well. The scenes were also explained well, and the conflicts had just the right solution so plus point! The romance department was moving too (cheesy and) smooth though, they fell too deep in love that it actually felt inhuman. Sorry.

Megan, our heroine, irritates me every time she cries, which is quite a lot. She is not my favorite bad-ass heroine, she's just a mere girl. But bam! when she's really upset she goes straight to the land of powerful-girl-characters-that-I-admired, really proud. On the other hand, Our male main character, Adam, was really sweet. He bears my language teacher's name and that felt a bit weird because my teacher is irritating (sorry. you're fun, sometimes) but this Adam, Adam DeRÍs is just so damn sweet and understanding that I forgot all about it. And as for the other characters, they're ok I think. Until now I didn't have any problem with any of the supporting characters.

So yeah, despite all those "too cheesy" comments I've made above, I actually really enjoy reading this book. It was really fun, and despite the concept about people with the ability to control elements like in the movie "Avatar the legend of Aang" it's not the same at all. For example, Aine, Adam's twin that could control the Earth element, could interact with animals and plants rather than making a giant wall of rock or soil that Toph did (At least I think she did that). It was another plus point by the way. Would definitely read the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!