10.13.2013

(review) Mafia Girl by Deborah Blumenthal

Mafia Girl by Deborah Blumenthal
Release date: March 1th 2014
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company
Pages: 256
Source: Netgalley
Rating: ★★★☆☆

What's in a name? Everything if you have my name." At her exclusive Manhattan high school, seventeen-year-old Gia is the most hated/loved girl in school. Why? Her father doesn't have a boss. He is the boss--the capo di tutti cappi, boss of all bosses. Not that Gia cares. But life gets complicated when she meets a cop she calls "Officer Hottie" and feels a suprising chemistry. Then Vogue magazine wants to feature Gia in a fashion spread about real-life bad girls. On top of this, she's running for class president. Can Gia step out from under her dad's shadow and show everyone there's more to her than "Mafia Girl?"


If you're looking for a short, and something mild (I think), then this is the perfect book for you.

Reading this book allows you to peek inside a Mifia's daughter life. Not that exciting to be her, I tell you. But it was really interesting. Gia, our heroine was a really great character. She's just a mere highschool girl but with an extra touch of toughness. I am really proud when she manage to go through things and stay cool. Of course, at some points, I got annoyed but then everyone has their flaws, even the fictional ones. The minor characters were also great and really helpful, the protagonists I mean. Gia's friends might be rich and everything but their life is just as messed up. Well, my life is great but their background stories were just so sad that I couldn't help but connect with it. I think my eyes were all moisty by the middle of the book. Especially when were talking about Clive's story, GOD IT WAS PAINFULL.

The plot could use some rest though. If it was a human, I bet he would collapse from too much running. The plot was fun and exciting but it felt rushed. Even the romance felt rushed. Gia's partner (I mean boyfriend-to-be) and, surprise, a cop was a real hottie though. It was fitting that Gia call him 'Officer Hottie'. He was hot, he acts hot but I just don't understand him sometimes. I could use a bit nore of Gia-Michael time.

But other than that, I think it was really enjoyable. It wasn't in my top-five books this year, but I still like it. Definitely a great read. So thank you for Albert Whitman & Company for sending me a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!