10.15.2013

(review) Redemption by C. J. Barry

Redemption by C. J. Barry
Series: Soul #1
Release date: October 1st 2013
Publisher: Forever Yours
Pages: 336
Source: Netgalley
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Reya Sinclair is the last person a man sees before he dies. As a Redeemer, she offers the soon-to-be-departed one last chance to atone for their sins. It's a painful job, but it's her only shot to secure her own salvation. She won't let anyone stand in her way-not even a ruggedly sexy cop hot on her trail. Bound by her duty, Reya must shake him before he ruins her . . . but her heart can't seem to let him go. Detective Thane Driscoll has watched too many criminals get away. The man who murdered his father was no exception. Now Thane carries out his own brand of justice, even if it means compromising his soul. When a string of deaths leads him to a beautiful woman in black, he discovers there's more to his father's murder than meets the eye. As fate brings them closer together, Thane discovers that only Reya's touch can calm his rage. Racing to uncover an evil plot, they must fight together to stop the coming storm. But when the time comes, can Reya sacrifice her own redemption to save Thane? (Blurb from Netgalley)

To tell the truth, I don't know if I love this book or not. Overall it just felt neutral.

I was fascinated from the moment I laid my eyes on the blurb. I thought it would be interesting, and yes, after I read it, it is interesting. Redemption was a whole new concept about light and dark.

Our main, Reya, was a Redeemer and a total bad-ass. Before someone dies, someone (or maybe something) would read their sins and offer them a chance of redemption, and that someone was Reya. Reya's job was doing quite well, until a certain detective choose to put her up as his suspect, due to the unusual deaths that happened recently. Really, if not for the illustration on the cover and the description that Reya was hot, I would've imagined that she was something like the ghost in Woman in Black or Insidious (I'm too scared to search for the picture and attach it here). You know, wearing all black, un-touchable, ghost-like, people dying after meeting her. It's quite creepy, when they're watching a video from a CCTV (or something) and there she is, smiling at the camera then poof gone. But I love her though, her personality. She's tough.

So yeah, for me all the other characters was great and well build. Definitely love the other main character, Thane Driscoll. The writing style was okay. And the ending was beautiful. I was really fascinated at first, but somehow that pull was getting loose throughout the story. Love the concept though. I know that this book wont focus on the romance part, and I love it, but if there would be romance at all I think the story could use a bit more of Reya-Thane moment. I mean, maybe other readers would realize the 'love' between them but I don't, not really. they felt like working partners with the addition of several sex scenes and the next thing Reya told Orson (another character in the story, her envoy) that she loved Thane.

Despite my love for the story and concept, like I said before, I just felt neutral. Maybe it's because of the pull? I don't really know. Would still recommend it to Paranormal novel's lovers though! and thank you for Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for the chance to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!