2.23.2017

[Review] We Thought We Were Invincible By Michelle Lynn

We Thought We Were Invincible
By Michelle Lynn
Publisher: Creativia
Published: February 8th 2017

California “Callie” McCoy feels most alive when her feet are planted firmly on her surfboard on a big swell. And one day, she dreams of riding that wave out of her small town. Away from everyone.

Her plan is simple: graduate high school. With Callie's best friend gone away to college, she plans on spending her senior year skating by. She isn’t looking for friends, and especially not for love - all she needs are her waves and her twin brother. Even if he comes with an annoying best friend, Jamie Daniels, who she can’t stand.

Jamie is a care-free, easy-going surfer who has everything. On the surface, his life appears perfect, but reality is far from it. He has his share of secrets, including one that burns deeper than any other. It’s a good thing Callie hates him because if she didn’t, Jamie knows there’s no way he’d be able to stay away.

And then, one night, everything changes. And nothing will ever be the same.

I recieved a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
This is going to be long, bear with me. I’m not just saying this because the author had graciously given me a review copy, but I’m not joking when I say this book had actually touched me more than I expected.

We Thought We Were Invincible had surprised me in every chapter, when I thought I know where the plot is going, something else slaps me on the head. There was definitely a lot of things going on to the point that I thought I was going to be exhausted, but it never came. There are great moments that you want the characters to stay in forever, and there are low points where you just wished it never happened (despite it being fiction, whatever), one thing for sure, is that Michelle Lynn serves one of the realest plots I’ve ever read before.

Plus, the character development had been amazing too. There was just so many layers to each and every one of them. It’s not merely black or white, someone that you thought you would despise had later turn out to be someone you actually root for.

Although there were a couple of different conflicts in this story, most of it were based on how the characters are forced to grow and how they choose to be able to find themselves after they graduate. And although I may not be in high school anymore, I find myself being able to relate really well with these conflicts to the extent that it actually helped me realise what I needed to do after I graduate university in a couple of months. For that, I just don’t know what I can say to tell you how special this book has become.

Overall, this book was simply a full 5 stars to me. Shootout to the amazing Michelle Lynn for the copy and the amazing journey! I am practically trying really hard not to finish all my wine stash for the roller coaster of emotions that you gave me. It was a hard story, but if you managed to come through, you’ll see what I’m talking about. Can’t wait for the second book!

Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!